Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Review: MATCHED, by Ally Condie


I was finally able to read this book. Now that I've finished it, I don't know where to begin.

Matched is a story about a girl who lives in a society where choices are made for you. Society decides when you die, where you live, who you love. But a glitch occurs at Cassia's own Matched Ceremony, where she is supposed to find out who she will be spending the rest of her life with. Turns out, Cassia is Matched with two people: handsome and competitive Xander, and quiet and observant Ky.

I give this book 4 out of 5.

Something I loved about Matched was the society. Even though we knew going into the book that it had to have been flawed, it really did seem perfect in the beginning. Ally Condie did an exceptional job portraying the citizens and their lives. I loved reading through and watching as Cassia unveiled one bit of information at a time, things that slowly began pulling her life apart.

The writing was also beautiful. There were so many times when I had to pause, just to read over and appreciate the way Ally Condie had written a sentence. Her way with words, the manner in which she knits them together into this subtle masterpiece would have been enough to keep me reading. Even if I did not absolutely love the storyline.

I also found myself addicted to Ky's story. I was drawn to him the moment we found out who he was, what was wrong with him. He is an amazing character (though I don't want to put down Xander, because I love him, too--just differently than I love Ky) with beautiful flaws. And in a strange way, no flaws at all.

The whole story throughout is relatively calm and quietly told. Don't go into this book expecting The Hunger Games or Divergent. Even if this is dystopian, this is a love story. It is centered around the love Cassia has for Ky, for Xander, for her family, and how that love grows into potential change. I recommend Matched wholeheartedly. It was better than I thought it would be, and now I can't wait to devour the sequel, waiting for me up there on my dresser.

No comments:

Post a Comment